Intro to PHPP
Using PHPP in Building Design and Certification
Monday May 12th - Tuesday May 13th, 2014 (NOTE: this date has changed from the original schedule.)
Pacific Energy Center, 851 Howard Street, San Francisco, CA
In this two-day course, participants will learn how to use the PHPP for residential building design and certification. Participants will be guided step-by-step through the relevant worksheets, while learning the correct conventions for measurements and calculations. Proper documentation will also covered in detail. A case study will provide participants with practical experience in completing and documenting PHPP calculations for building certification.
1. Understand Passive House certification process & requirements
2. Prepare documentation for certification submission
3. Compare Passive House vs North American standards
4. Understand the process to become a Certified Passive House Designer
5. Learn the structure, inputs, and outputs of PHPP software
- Select and input appropriate climate data sets in PHPP
- Measure and record building characteristics (areas, volumes, etc) using AutoDesk Design Review
- Specify building components in PHPP
9. Assess building heat loss, energy demand and summertime overheating risk using PHPP
10. Gain practical experience in completing a PHPP assessment for a residential development
Intended Audience: architects, developers, self-builders and other building professionals.
Prerequisites: Knowledge of Excel, familiarity with reading construction drawings, and a general understanding of low energy buildings is expected. Participants who lack one or more of these may find it difficult to keep up with the course material and exercises.
Enrolment Limit: Due to the greater attention required of the instructor for each participant, there is a limit of 10 spots on the course.
Costs: $525. This includes coffee and snacks. Lunch will not be provided. PHCA members are eligible for a $75 discount Note that all course fees are processed by Peel Passive House Consulting.
Optional Course Extension: Course participants wishing to further refine their PHPP skills will have the opportunity to complete a take home case study after the course. Completed case studies can be submitted for assessment at an additional charge.
Continuing Education: This course is approved by the AIA and will receive 12 LU Hour.
Location: PG&E Pacific Energy Center, Howard Street, San Francisco, CA
Course Times: 9:00 – 16:30
Course Requirements: Laptop with Autodesk Design Review 2013, PHPP2007 (or later version) preloaded, and PHPP manual. Autodesk Design Review is a free CAD viewer and mark-up program that can be downloaded for free from http://usa.autodesk.com/design-review/. The PHPP can be purchased from Small Planet Workshop and 475 Performance Building Supply.
For further details and to register, visit:
Pacific Energy Center
851 Howard Street
San Francisco, CA 94103