CERTIFIED PASSIVE HOUSE DESIGNER | TRAINING | in person 5 days in Santa Barbara, CA
The Passive House Network (PHN) Certified Passive House Designer (CPHD) course is the premier Passive House professional training for architects, engineers, consultants, developers, policymakers, and more. The course is supported by the 30-year history of global technical leadership of the Passive House Institute.
3C-REN is proud to offer PHN’s Certified Passive House Designer course for FREE (normally a $1,900 value) for tri-county professionals. The 5-day training will be held in-person in Santa Barbara. The exam is included in the class. The exam often occurs a number of weeks after the course to allow for further review and study. The exam is only offered remotely online.
This course is for all building professionals in the tri-county region: architects, MEP and structural engineers, builders and construction managers working in the design and construction of new build and retrofit Passive House buildings.
Complete the interest form ASAP to apply for your space. Space is limited. Registration is first come, first serve with equal spaces reserved per Ventura, Santa Barbara, and San Luis Obispo County. Confirmed registrants will be sent a link to enroll with PHN’s training portal.
- 5 consecutive days of in-person instruction. Participants must be able to attend all 5 days. Lunch is not provided.
- 7 additional e-learning modules.
- Thorough grounding of critical aspects of Passive House design and construction.
- Receive a 5-year registration as an internationally accredited CPHD after passing exam.
- For all building professionals: architects, MEP and structural engineers, builders and construction managers and more.
- Accredited by the AIA for 35 LU/HSWs.
Tentative In-Class Schedule:
Day 1: Introduction to Passive House principles, with an in-depth look at enclosure insulation & thermal bridging: principles, calculations, details, systems and components.
Day 2: Enclosure airtightness and windows: principles, calculations, details, systems and components.
Day 3: Ventilation, heating, cooling, dehumidification and domestic hot water: principles, calculations, details, systems and components.
Day 4: PHPP energy model and calculating building energy balance.
Day 5: Retrofits, economics, certifications and exam preparation.
Seven online modules to reinforce and expand on the classroom work, completed at the participant’s pace:
- Module 1: Introduction
- Module 2: Spot the Mistakes
- Module 3: True or False
- Module 4: Energy Calculations
- Module 5: Economics
- Module 6: Designing a Passive House
- Module 7: PHPP + Units
Materials for Training:
- A digital copy of the manual will be sent to participants prior to the start of the training.
- Access to 7 online modules.
- PHPP software – current version of the PHPP energy model will be provided and registered to participants for use in class – and any subsequent professional work. A hard copy manual will be shipped to the participant.