Certified Passive House Consultants
Find architects, engineers, builders, and other professionals throughout California and the world to help guide your next Passive House project.
• Our PHCA Professional & Corporate membership directory:
• Internationally Certified Passive House Designers and Consultants:
These individuals have passed the international exam issued by the Passive House Institute.
--> Become a Certified Consultant
• CEPHEUS Book: "The official concluding document of the CEPHEUS Austria 1998–2001 Project," which details nine Austrian Passive House buildings.
The North American Passive House Network (NAPHN): This organization is accredited by the Passivhaus Institut to provide official Passive House Certification services and rigorous Passive House Consultant training courses, as well as host exams.
The Passivhaus Institut (PHI): An independent research institution in Germany, founded in 1996 by Dr. Wolfgang Feist, that performs research and development on highly efficient energy use (click on “English” for a translated site)
Cost-Efficient Passive Houses in a Central European Climate: A short report by Dr Wolfgang Feist that explains the development of Passive House, presented at the 1998 ACEEE Summer Study on Energy Efficiency in Buildings at Asilomar, Pacific Grove, CA
EnerPHit: Handbook for Step-by Step retrofits with Passive House Components (Europe)
Cost Efficient Passive Houses as European Standards (CEPHEUS): A European Commission project to construct 250 housing units to Passive House standards in five European countries
Active for more comfort: The Passive House: International Passive House Association
Passive Houses in Mediterranean Climates: A report from the PHI on PH in southern Europe.
Comfort analysis of a passive house in different locations in Italy: A report from the PHI on PH in four Italian cities.
Passive houses in Sweden: Experiences from design and construction phase: Ulla Janson, Lund University
Homes for a Changing Climate - Passive Houses in the U.S.: Book authored by Katrin Klingenberg, Mike Kernagis, and Mary James that explains the Passive House approach and details nine pioneering U.S. projects from coast to coast
The Tahan Residence: A Berkeley Passive House retrofit in progress. First retrofit in the US and first attempted Passive House project in California.
The Waldsee BioHaus: A residential language school built to Passive House standard in Northern Minnesota and the first certified Passive House in the US.
Passive House History
- SASKATOON'S SUPERINSULATED HOUSE, Mother Earth News, May/June 1982
- The Westford House - A History of Superinsulation from Building Science Corp.
- Superinsulation (Wikipedia entry)
- Super-insulated Houses, Popular Science, May 1981
- Very Low Energy Homes in the United States: Perspectives on Performance from Measured Data, Danny Parker, Florida Solar Energy Center (FSEC)